Offices of reference after enrolment

The International Mobility Office is in charge of supporting students from the pre-enrolment stage right up to enrolment. After enrolment, students shall basically refer to:

Change of degree course or university (only for non-EU students)

Non-EU students enrolled at the University of Ferrara can apply to move to another Italian University or to enrol in a different degree course only after the first year has been completed. The University of Ferrara shall not take any of these applications into consideration before the first year is over. The appropriate entrance test has to be successfully passed prior to moving onto a limited access degree course.

Residence permit renewal (only for non-EU students)

Following enrolment, students shall have to re-apply for a residence permit in order to formalise their permanence in Italy for the entire year. The application for residence permit renewal must be submitted at least 60 days prior to the expiry of the old residence permit. In order to successfully renew their residence permits, students must submit the following documents to the Police Headquarters:

  1. Proof of the same income which enabled him/her to get to Italy at the moment of the pre-enrolment (5,818.93 Euros per year);
  2. Certificate/proof of enrolment;
  3. Being under the same conditions proved before his/her arrival in Italy.

A residence permit for study reasons can be renewed upon certain conditions to be certified. In particular, the Police shall issue a new permit to those students who have:

  • passed at least one exam during the first year;
  • passed at least two exams during the following years.

Certification of the exams shall be notified by the University in terms of credits. The Police Headquarters may also decide to renew the permit to students with either serious health issues or financial difficulties who have not met the exam requirements. However, the residence permit can be awarded for no longer than three years following the normal duration of the degree course in which the student is enrolled.

Return of documents

Foreign students can ask for the documents they previously submitted to the Registrar’s Office to be returned, only in the following cases:

  • if they failed the admission tests and so are forced to leave;
  • if they were not able to enrol in their chosen course due to lack of available places;
  • if they have decided to move to another University (prior to completing the enrolment procedure);
  • once they have graduated

Students who neither pass the admission test nor are admitted to another degree course/university by the expiry of the period determined by the Italian Ministry shall be forced to leave Italy prior to the expiry of either their temporary residence permit or their student VISA.