Recognize your foreign degree

The foreign students and the Italian citizens who have a Degree obtained abroad can apply to recognize their qualification at the University of Ferrara. The recognition of a foreign degree can be a full recognition or a partial recognition.

To recognize your academic qualification

Non-Eu students before applying for a recognition, have to consult the Italian Embassy in their country to start the pre-enrolment procedures.

Applicants should bring the following documents to the International Office:

  1. Application for degree recognition
  2. the High School Diploma along with the certified translation iton Italian and a "Declaration of value" stating the student has gone through a 12 years of pre-university school attendance (traduzione legalizzata e Dichiarazione di valore);
  3. the University degree Diploma along with the certified translation into Italian and a "Declaration of value" (traduzione legalizzata e Dichiarazione di valore);
  4. the student's transcript (the list of all the exams taken and passed during the academic years, the corresponding credits and grades)
  5. the syllabus of every course/exam stated in the trasncript translated into Italian (it's not required an official translation). The syllabus is a short description of all the courses attended at university and must be issued by the university itself and confirmed by the Embassy/Consulate. The syllabus can be handed in English, French or Spanish. Any other langauge won't be accepted and will have to be translated into Italian;
  6. (only for countries where it's issued) Diploma Supplement. It includes a general section and a specific/analytic section which can replace the syllabus.

For non-EU students it's also compulsory to show:

    • Pre-registration A form;
    • Passport-sized photo certified by the competent Italian Embassy


      If applicants can't personally go to Embassy or Consulate, it's possible to contact the Diplomatic Organs in advance and decide the suitable methods for the Recognition application procedures. After having lagalised and translated all the contents, Italian Embassy abroad will be in charge of verifying the validity ot the above-mentioned documents and will send them, together with an official lettre, to the designated University.

      All the above-mentioned documents must be translated into Italian, legalised and be shown along with the corresponding "Declaration of Value" which certifies the authenticity and the duration of the pre-university study period.

      Pre-academic years

      Students who just attended 10 or 11 pre-university school years have to:

      1. certify they somehow attended the remaining one/two education years at a foreign University in order to meet the requirement of 12 school-year attendance. This period will not be considered to reduce the duration of the student's degree course in Italy, whereas it will simply make the student meet the requirement of 12 school-year attendance, as stated by Italian Government. Once proved the student actually attended 12 years of overall education, he/she has what it takes to enroll in the 1st year (1st level degree only);

      2. get an Italian High School Diploma.

      Those students who obtained a Diploma after 10 years of attendance and also obtained a Bachelor's Degree in their home country will be considered as follows:

      1. the University of Ferrara considers 2 out of the years of University attendance to meet the requirement of 12 compulsory school-year attendance;

      2. moreover, the University of Ferrara may decide to partially or totally recognize the remaining University year to reduce the student's study plan.

      Further steps

      All the categories of citizens (Italian, UE and non-UE) will first hand all these documents to the International Mobility Office for a preliminary check. The documents will be then moved on to the Department via the Registrar's Office. In case the Departmental Board denies the complete recognition of the degree, the applicant can ask for the reduction of his/her university duration.

      In order to enroll to any degree programme, student has to pass a preliminary test. In particular, if students choose a degree subject to limitations have to pass an Admission test that will enable access; whilst if the chosen degree isn't subject to limitations, students just need to take a preliminary skill test aimed to assess actual students' competence in  their future field of study. Here the list of Unife's degrees subject to particular limitations and free access degrees.