Economics and management of innovation and sustainability - EMIS
- Duration: 3 years
- Admission: academic qualifications and interview
- Coordinator: Emidia Vagnoni (coordinatore locale Ferrara)
- Head office: agreement with Università di Ferrara and Università di Parma
- Department: Economia e management
- Study abroad: not compulsory
- Educational purpose: the program is designed to train Ph.D research candidates who possess analytical skills in business economics, and theoretical and quantitative economics; while it integrates basic economic tools, business economics, and statistics in a way unique to this curriculum. Research topics are ample but circumscribed in their inter-relation and specific characteristics, and allow for the introduction of analytical factors related to information systems, business management and organizational processes, as well as the management of complex socio-economic and policy phenomena on regional and macro-economic levels. Regional issues are emphasized with the aim of efficiently cooperating with local businesses and institutions while keeping with the thematic research areas and specific expertise of department faculty.
Complementarity between thematic areas (economics, business economics, and within the lines that define these macro-areas) and levels of analysis (micro-macro, business-public institutions) is directed towards fostering skills which are highly applicable on the regional, Italian, and European job market.
- Curriculum: no
- Educational plan: the Ph.D program is structured around 16 basic thematic areas, in conformity with department curricula. Specific thematic courses are offered on a year to year basis and are expressly indicated in session timetables.
- Normative aspects and the effects of agricultural and agribusiness policy
- Definition and communication of value in businesses
- Environmental and natural resource economics
- Knowledge, organization, human capital and labor economics
- Cultural economics: politics and management
- Economics and industrial and development policy
- Economics and public sector management
- Finance and risk management
- Health care and health care management
- Evolution of distribution systems
- Performance evaluation, balance analysis and business management auditing
- New entrepreneurship, company strategies and managerial development
- Intangible resources and management systems, evaluation and reporting according to financial and non-financial indicators
- Economic decisions in the presence of risks
- Shopper Behavior & Marketing Channels
- Regional and Territorial Systems
The program is organized into a 3 years course, where the first year of study offers general courses in advanced economics and methods are offered. Beyond this, course work focuses on more specific topics through seminar cycles, workshops, ‘labs’, essay writing, and lectures given by visiting faculty from Italian and foreign universities.
Candidates begin work on their thesis and its chapters (‘papers’) in their second year, in close contact with supervisors, at the same time planning research activities abroad and participating in national and international conferences as lecturers and listeners.
Progress assessment methods are based on interaction between faculty and candidates and include: (I) formal testing of knowledge retained from course work and other activities, (II) interaction with and reporting to supervisors concerning research activities on a monthly basis, (III) public departmental presentations related to the state and progress of candidates’ research activities each semester.