Admission test before the documents are ready

In the year before the student arrives in Italy, he/she must get in contact with the Italian Diplomatic Authority located in the country where he/she obtained the High School Diploma. Each Embassy or Consulate will let know the calendar for foreign students willing to study in Italy, especially the dadline for pre-registration process. Students should also consult the calendar released by the Education Ministry, therefore he/she is supposed to select an Italian degree course to sign up for and fill out the form A as stated in the MIUR Regulations.

Non-EU student is subject to a limited number of available places upon Italian degree courses (contingente/quota). The list of available courses and related student quotas determined by the University of Ferrara are visible on foreign student portal.

After the completion of pre-registration process, the Diplomatic Authority will provide the student with the relevant information on student VISA and will send the University of Ferrara the list of pre-registered students.

There are some particular cases which regulate the possibility to pre-register at the Embassy of a different country from the student's one.

Pre-university school years

The student willing to enroll to an Italian Degree course must have completed at least 12 years of pre-university school attendace in his/her home country (including primary, middle and high school). The indication of the overall school attendance must necessarily be stated in the "Declaration of Value" issued by the Italian Diplomatic Authority located in the country where the student studied.

Students who just attended 10 or 11 pre-university school years have to:

  1. certify they somehow attended the remaining one/two education years at a foreign University in order to meet the requirement of 12 school-year attendance. This period will not be considered to reduce the duration of the student's degree course in Italy, whereas it will simply make the student meet the requirement of 12 school-year attendance, as stated by Italian Government. Once proved the student actually attended 12 years of overall education, he/she has what it takes to enroll in the 1st year (1st level degree only);
  2. get an Italian High School Diploma.

Those students who obtained a Diploma after 10 years of attendance and also obtained a Bachelor's Degree in their home country will be considered as follows:

  1. the University of Ferrara considers 2 out of the years of University attendance to meet the requirement of 12 compulsory school-year attendance;
  2. moreover, the University of Ferrara may decide to partially or totally recognize the remaining University year to reduce the student's study plan.

Registration to admission tests

Students applying for a limited access degree course have to go through an additional online procedure:

  • For Medicine and Architecture: registration throught the platform UNIVERSITALY
  • For all the other limited access courses: registration through the UNIFE portal (non-eu citizens will be direclty registered by the International Mobility Office).

Enroll to a Bachelor's degree/uni-levelled Master's degree

When getting to Italy, the student must have the right documents for enrolment. The documents must be handed straight to the International Mobility Office for a check just after the student arrives in Italy. The documents for enrolment are:

  1. High School Diploma (ORIGINAL HARD COPY) obtained abroad (after at least 12 years of school attendance) translated into Italian language and duly legalised (Legalizzazione dei documenti and Perfezionamento documenti)
  2. Declaration of Value issued by the Italian Diplomatic Authority (Dichiarazione di valore in loco). Student should first check the opportunities for students with less than 12 years of education attendance;
  3. (only for countries where students are supposed to pass a national selection after high school) Certificate proving the student passed the national exam of academic suitabilty, only in case this exam is compulsory in the country where the student attended High School. (i.e. Gaokao in PRC, Vestibular in Brasil, Veveossi Prosvassis in Greece, prueba de selectividad in Spain, prova de Aferiçao in Portugal and so on..).

For non-EU students we also require:

  1. Pre-registration A form;
  2. Passport-sized photo certified by the competent Italian Embassy.

If the student would like to get a partial recognition of his/her previous academic degree, must also provide the Academic transcript (credits, grades) and the related syllabus, or, the Diploma awarded by an Italian institution.

Any certificate issued in a foreign language must be along with an official translation into Italian. The official translation is either processed in the student’s home country or in Italy. The Italian institutions allowed to it are the local Courts or the legally recognised translators. As well as being duly translated, any certificate must be legally recognised by the Italian Diplomatic Authority located in the country where the students got his/her Diploma. Exceptions to this requirement will be made in case of other specific agreements. 

Enroll to a Master's degree

After getting to Italy, the student must be holding the right documents for enrolment. The documents must be handed straight to the International Mobility Office for a check just after the student arrives in Italy. The documents for enrolment are:

  1. Foreign academic degree diploma, translated into Italian languageand legalised (Legalizzazione documenti e Perfezionamento documenti). The enrolment in the above mentioned degree must have been after 12 years of previous school attendance; furthermore the degree must enable the access to the master's degree in the home country;
  2. Declaration of Value related to the academic qualification;
  3. Academic Transcipt issued by the foreign University, duly translated into Italian and legalised. It should report the amount of credits, the hours of lecture/individual study and the grades;
  4. Syllabus of any subject/exam attended, studied and passed during the academic study plan. The syllabus is issued by the home university and is to be confirmed by the Italian Diplomatic Authority before submitting it to the University of Ferrara. English, French and Spanish versions of the syllabus may be accepted as well;
  5. (only for the issuing countries) Diploma Supplement, which replaces point 4 if issued in English, French or Spanish language.

For non-EU students we also require:

  1. Pre-registration A form;
  2. Passport-sized photo certified by the competent Italian Embassy.

The documents mentioned above don't allow to access straight the Master's degree; the University of Ferrara should first assess whether the foreign qualification meets the requirements of the Italian Master's degree.

According to specific criteria (requirements, credits, scientific study fields, personal preparation), the in charge Committee determines the admission to the selected Master's degree. After the arrival in Italy, the student must hand the documents straight to the International Mobility Office which is in charge to check an transfer them to the Department where the assessment will take place. The response over student's admission will be issued within 60 days.

After the due assessment, in case the student curriculum doesn't meet the degree course requirements, the Departmental Committee can reject the application. If this may happen, the student can enroll onto the corresponding Bachelor's degree course (if it's not a limited access course) and he/she will also be asked to integrate the documents already handed with what required for bachelor's degree admission. See the page: recognition of foreign qualifications.

Enroll to a post-graduate course

If the student has already completed both the bachelor's and the master's degrees in his/her home country, and wishes to sign up for a postgraduate 3rd level at the University of Ferrara, the references are as follows:

The International Mobility Office will not consider any questions and applications related to the 3rd academic level.

Admission test before the documents are ready

The candidates who signed up for an admission test (included Italian language test for non-EU students) which takes place before the High school diploma or the pre-registration process is completed, will come to Italy with a short term VISA (list of countries subject to VISA) or without VISA (list of countries not subject to VISA). Just before getting to Italy permanently, they will have to get the student VISA (type D).